NFL Champion Quarterback Tom Brady Tells Us What He Eats

NFL Champion Quarterback Tom Brady Tells Us What He Eats

NFL Champion Quarterback Tom Brady Tells Us What He Eats

New England Patriot Tom Brady eats a restrictive, plant-based diet that centers on “anti-inflammatory” foods and avoids some dietary staples nutritionists recommend.

The Big Q: Is Mr Brady getting anything that helps his game and off-field performance?

The Big A: Nutritionists are divided on The Brady Diet, devised by his personal chef Allen Campbell.

In his new book, “The TB 12 Method,” the Super Bowl-bound NFL Quarterback offers new details on what he eats.

For the most part, Mr. Brady eats “Real Food” to an extreme. He eats a largely vegetarian diet, but avoids or limits foods with sugar, white flour, MSG, and so-called “nightshades” including tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, or eggplants because they have no anti-inflammatory properties.

His book provides a 1st-person account of the eating habits that fascinates his fans.

Health experts note that scientific research shows diets rich in fruits, vegetables, and non-processed foods are nutrient-rich and reduce the risk for disease and obesity.

But eliminating specific foods to “reduce inflammation” can cut out healthy items from a diet, specialists say.

They add that exercise, weight management, and medications can all help control inflammation. Many popular diets like Mediterranean, low-carb, low-fat help reduce inflammation, explains Harvard cardiologist Christopher Cannon.

In his book, Mr. Brady writes: “The regimen I follow is a mix of Eastern and Western philosophies. Some of these principles have been around for thousands of years. My nutritional regimen may seem restrictive to some people, but to me it feels unnatural to eat any other way. Many people have conditioned their bodies to a nutritional regiment made up of lots of white or pale-looking foods — French fries, potato chips, white bread, chicken nuggets that don’t exist in nature.”

“When I was a kid, the dairy industry rolled out lots of campaigns urging people to drink lots of milk. Remember milk mustaches? I actually did that campaign back in 2002! But research today is pretty clear that we should consume dairy in more limited amounts. Our belief at TB12 is that dairy products are high in calories and lower in nutritional value than other foods.”

On a typical day, Mr. Brady drinks 20 oz of water with electrolytes soon after waking, then consumes 12 to 25 glasses of water a day, always with his TB12 electrolyte concentrate added.

He then has a breakfast smoothie. “Typically, it contains blueberries, bananas, seeds, and nuts,” he writes. “It’s nutrient dense, high in fat, high in protein, and high in calories.”

After a morning workout, he has a protein shake made of one scoop of his self-branded protein powder, almond milk, and more electrolytes. He then may have a late-morning snack before lunch, which he says is “often a piece of fish, but always with lots of vegetables.”

He also takes care not to eat proteins with carbohydrates like potatoes or bread, or fruit with any other food.

He also follows a so-called alkaline diet, which purports to minimize muscle inflammation by limiting “acidifying” foods such as white rice, bread, cold cuts, pineapples, and yogurt to 20% of his diet. The other 80% he says should be made up of alkalizing foods, like Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, and dandelion greens.

An afternoon snack for Tom Brady may include another protein shake, protein bar, or fruit, such as grapes, a banana, apple, chips and guacamole, hummus, or raw vegetables.

Dinner comes around 6:00p. in the Brady Household and is usually a “nutrient-dense meal that includes a lot of vegetables,” he writes. “I do not really drink tea, but I might drink a cup of bone broth.” He “rarely” drinks alcohol.

Brady writes after his NFL career is over, may relax his diet.

But for now: “I enjoy how I eat, and what I eat, and never feel like I’m missing out.”

Eat healthy, Be healthy, Live lively

 

 

The following two tabs change content below.

Paul Ebeling

Paul A. Ebeling, polymath, excels in diverse fields of knowledge. Pattern Recognition Analyst in Equities, Commodities and Foreign Exchange and author of “The Red Roadmaster’s Technical Report” on the US Major Market Indices™, a highly regarded, weekly financial market letter, he is also a philosopher, issuing insights on a wide range of subjects to a following of over 250,000 cohorts. An international audience of opinion makers, business leaders, and global organizations recognizes Ebeling as an expert.

You must be logged in to post comments :  
CONNECT WITH