Merrill Lynch Analyst Very Bearish Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA)
Tesla Motors Inc. (NASDAQ: TSLA) has survived yet another weak financial report. Other than our negative call on the EV maker, the most negative analyst call on Wall Street is with that low price objective of 65/share.
The EV (electric car) maker posted an adjusted diluted EPS loss of 0.36 on adjusted revenues of $1.1-B. In the same year ago frame, the company reported adjusted EPS of 0.02 on revenues of $761.34-M. Q-1 results also compare to the consensus estimates for EPS of 0.31 and $1.23-B in revenues.
After the Q-1 report, Bank of America Merrill Lynch (NYSE:BAC) lowered its Y 2015 EPS estimate to 0.40 from 0.95, the Y 2016 estimate to 1.45 from 1.50, and Y 2017 estimate to 2.35 from 2.40, as the firm is maintaining its 65/share price objective.
The takeaways that Merrill Lynch saw in the earnings are, as follows;
- Pre-announced deliveries were ahead of forecast.
- Q-1 adjusted EPS loss was not quite as bad as expected.
- Tesla burned $558-M of free cash flow in Q-1(-$624-M excluding regulatory credits), which was worse than the $339-M estimate.
- Operating expenses, Capex and cash burn all still elevated, little relief is in sight. And that the market continues to underestimate the significant challenges ahead for Tesla.
In the Merrill Lynch report, analysts John Lovallo and John Murphy, detailed: Tesla pre-announced Q-1 of Y 2015 deliveries of 10,030 units on 4/3 (actual units 10,045), which was slightly above our 9,900 unit estimate and the company’s conservative 9,500 unit forecast. Revenue, excluding lease accounting, of $1.1-B was roughly inline with our forecast, but adjusted EPS loss of (0.36) was just ahead of our (0.40) expectation and consensus of (0.49). Excluding +$66-M of regulatory credits and a $22-M FX revaluation hit, not explicitly incorporated into our model, adjusted EPS would have been a loss of about (0.71) for the core business.
The stock has a consensus analyst price target of 263.59 and a 52-wk trading range of 177.22 to 291.42.
|HeffX-LTN Analysis for TSLA:||Overall||Short||Intermediate||Long|
|Bullish (0.43)||Very Bullish (0.54)||Bullish (0.27)||Bullish (0.47)|
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- US Treasuries Down, US Dollar Down - May 28, 2015
- US Stock Indexes Finished Lower On Light Volume - May 28, 2015
- Gold, Silver, Crude Oil Up, Copper Unchanged, Nat Gas Down - May 28, 2015
- Vietnamese Govn’t Trying To Boost Slow Tourism - May 28, 2015
- FIFA: Qatar Still 2022 World Cup Host Even As Swiss And US Investigate Officials - May 28, 2015
Trade FX, Equities and Options with the World's Leading Platform Open an account here , call us at 305 4904 116, or email us to get started.
US Stock Indexes Finished Lower On Light Volume $IBB, $AVGO, ... read more
US Treasuries Down, US Dollar Down US Treasury Complex The ... read more
Gold, Silver, Crude Oil Up, Copper Unchanged, Nat Gas Down ... read more