ITRC Reports 601 Data Breaches Year to Data
The latest data breach count from the Identity Theft Resource Center (ITRC) reports that there have been 601 data breaches recorded YTD, and that more than 21-M records have been exposed since the beginning of the year.
The total number of reported breaches increased by 17 since ITRC’s last report.
The number of breaches in Y 2015 totaled 781, 2 shy of the record 783 breaches that ITRC tracked in Y 2014. The 601 data breaches reported so far for Y 2016 are more than 14% above the number reported (511) for the same frame last year.
A total of more than 169-M records were exposed in Y 2015.
Below is a is a list of the ITRC report for last week, as follows:
- The medical/healthcare sector now leads all sectors in the number of records compromised to date in Y 2016. The sector has posted 36.1% (217) of all data breaches so far this year. The number of records exposed in these breaches totaled more than 12-M, or about 59.2% of the total so far in Y 2016.
- The government/military sector has suffered 38 data breaches so far this year, representing about 27.1% of the total number of records exposed and 6.3% of the incidents. More than 5.7-M records have been compromised in the government/military sector YTD.
- The business sector accounts for nearly 2.5-M exposed records in 264 incidents. That represents 43.9% of the incidents, and 11.8% of the exposed records.
- The number of banking/credit/financial breaches totals 20 YTD, and involves nearly 5,300 records, some 3.3% of the total number of breaches and less than 0.1% of the records exposed.
- The educational sector has seen 62 data breaches in Y 2016. The sector accounts for 10.3% of all breaches for the year and more than 400,000 exposed records, about 1.9% of the total so far this year.
Since beginning to track data breaches in Y 2005, ITRC had counted 6,411 breaches through 2 August 2016, involving more than 870-M records.
The Big Q: How to keep our online data secure?
The Big A: the answer lies here with the patented NEXO data transfer platform.
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Rudy Giuliani, “Donald Trump’s campaign has ‘a couple of surprises left'” - October 25, 2016
- Gawk Announces Disaster Recovery As Major Update To Cloud Communications Platform - October 25, 2016
- Key Stock, Crude, Gold and Silver Markets Briefing - October 25, 2016