“DogSmarts,” a new podcast series presented by Purina Pro Plan BRIGHT MIND and hosted by leading canine expert, founder of Dognition and Professor of Cognitive Neuroscience at Duke University Dr. Brian Hare, launches on Friday, June 10. The series features six episodes that explore the rich mental lives and cognitive abilities of our canine companions.
“DogSmarts” will feature a mix of stories and interviews from leading scientists, psychologists, anthropologists and veterinarians on topics from canine memory and word learning to nutrition and love. The Panoply-produced podcast series is available on iTunes and Google Play and examines various dimensions of canine cognition. Episodes include:
- “Memory Master“: Did you know that canines have incredible and complex memories? In this episode, Dr. Hare explores how memory plays a powerful role in understanding canine cognition with Dr. Evan MacLean, Assistant Professor at the University of Arizona’s School of Anthropology.
- “Internal Compass“: Some dogs seem to have a built-in GPS. Dr. Hare is joined by Dr. Alexandra Rosati, Assistant Professor of the Department of Human Evolutionary Biology at Harvard University and Dr. Evan MacLean to explain how dogs use the earth’s magnetic fields to navigate.
- “The BRIGHT MIND Effect“: Can canine nutrition support cognitive health? Dr. Hare speaks with Dr. Janet Jackson, VP of Nutrition Research at Nestle Purina PetCare, and Dr. Gary Pan, Principal Research Scientist at Nestle Purina PetCare, who helped develop the breakthrough innovation in the Purina Pro Plan BRIGHT MIND Adult and BRIGHT MIND Adult 7+ formulas- cognitive supporting nutrition for dogs. They are joined by Dr. Bill Milgram, a leader in canine cognitive aging. Together, they’ll discuss their research and how essential nutrients can help support cognitive health as a dog ages.
- “Get to Work“: Dogs have more health-focused jobs now than ever before. Hear from experts in the field of working and therapeutic dogs how these dogs use amazing cognitive abilities to help humans. This episode features interviews with Betsie Hughes (alongside her CCI service dog), Jamie Togal, a Guide Dog Mobility Instructor at Leader Dogs for the Blind, and Paul Mundell, CEO of Canine Companions for Independence.
- “Empathy”: Join Dr. Hare as he explains the physiological phenomenon behind the universal and undeniable bond between dogs and humans with guests Ragen McGowan, Senior Scientist in the Behavior Group at Nestle Research and Development Center, Sue Carter, Director of the Kinsey Institute at Indiana University in Bloomington, Ramiro Joly-Mascheroni, PhD Student at the Cognitive Neuroscience Research Unit at City University London and Dr. Evan MacLean.
- “On Point”: Do you ever wonder how much of what we say and do is actually understood by dogs? In this episode, Dr. Hare is joined by Dr. Josep Call, Professor in the Evolutionary Origins of Mind at the University of Saint Andrews, and Dr. Adam Miklosi, Head of the Department of Ethology at Eötvös University in Budapest, Hungary, to explore verbal and non-verbal communication between humans and dogs.
“The scientific community has made huge strides in our understanding of the rich mental lives of dogs, and with this series, we aim to share those fascinating – and sometimes surprising – learnings with dog- and science-lovers,” said Hare. “Each episode is packed with stories and interviews with world-renowned experts to explain the intriguing and expansive world of canine cognition.”
“Purina Pro Plan BRIGHT MIND is proud to be a part of the ‘DogSmarts’ podcast series to help empower dog owners with the latest research and insights about canine cognition,” said Robert Miller, Pro Plan Brand Director at Purina. “This effort is a part of our ongoing commitment to strengthen the bond between dogs and their owners and help keep dogs’ bodies and minds healthy, longer.”
The podcast is part of an ongoing partnership between Purina Pro Plan, Dr. Brian Hare and Dognition®, which offers fun, science-based games that reveal the unique way each dog sees the world. The partnership pairs the breakthrough innovation in Purina Pro Plan BRIGHT MIND formulas, which provide brain-supporting nutrition for cognitive health, with the Dognition cognitive assessment to help dog owners find the genius in their dog.
Customers that purchase Purina Pro Plan BRIGHT MIND Adult or Adult 7+ dry dog food can get a FREE Dognition Assessment – a $19 value*. To learn more visit www.dognition.com/BrightMind.
To listen to the podcast, visit iTunes, Google Play or http://www.panoply.fm/shows.
For more information on Purina Pro Plan, visit www.proplan.com.
*Offer valid through 12/31/2016 or while supplies last. Participation in the promotion is only open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, who are 18 years of age or older. Limit of one (1) $19 Dognition Digital Reward per qualifying purchase during the promotion dates. Full Terms and Conditions available here.
About Purina Pro Plan:
Purina Pro Plan is the food of choice for the past 10 Westminster Best in Show winners.** Our goal is to give your dog the nutrition to be his absolute best, helping him to be energetic and resilient, and maintain an ideal body condition, healthy skin and a stunning coat. Because being the best he can be means something different for every dog, our wide range of dry and wet foods, snacks and supplement bars, sold exclusively at pet specialty stores, can be found in five specialized categories formulated for a dog’s unique needs. For more information, visit www.proplan.com or follow @ProPlan on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Vine or Google+. The brand is manufactured by Nestle Purina PetCare, which promotes responsible pet care, humane education, community involvement and the positive bond between people and their pets. A premiere global manufacturer of pet products, Nestle Purina PetCare is part of Swiss-based Nestle S.A., a global leader in nutrition, health and wellness.
**Handlers or owners of these champions may have received Pro Plan Dog Food as Purina ambassadors.
Panoply, launched in 2015, is an innovative, full-service podcast network for premier media brands, authors, personalities and organizations. As the audio arm of The Slate Group, Panoply provides production, audience development, sales, and technology services for its expanding number of partners. With the launch of its content management system, Megaphone, in January 2016, Panoply became a full-service podcasting platform, making it possible for a wider range of new and existing podcasters to partner with the network. To learn more about Panoply’s new technology or to submit your podcast for consideration, please visit: http://announcements.panoply.fm/. To find out more about current Panoply programs or to subscribe to the network, please visit http://www.panoply.fm/ or search Panoply on iTunes.
Latest posts by Shayne Heffernan (see all)
- Singapore: Cellos Software Limited Collapsing as Scandal Deepens - February 20, 2017
- Oasis Dream Hits 50 Group Winners - February 20, 2017
- Video of Kim Jong-nam Assassination - February 20, 2017