Saturday, Lewis Hamilton, 31 anni, took Pole position for the F1 Spanish Grand Prix, edging MercedesAMG team mate Nico Rosberg by 3/10th of a sec.
Max Verstappen came close to being the youngest driver ever to make the front row of a Grand Prix, but he was just edged out by fellow Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo, who will start Sunday’s race in 3rd.
Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen could only come home 5th and 6th, respectively.
“Very very happy with getting the lap.,” Mr. Hamilton said in the post-qualifying press conference. “Obviously Nico has been really strong all weekend so it was crucial that bit by bit I have been really trying to bring the pace together. The guys back at the factory have been working so hard over the last two weeks really trying to rectify the problems we have. This is now three out of three for me so I’m pretty happy. Obviously, I didn’t get to compete over the last two qualifying sessions.”
Mr. Rosberg made it clear that he sees the start as the perfect opportunity to seize the advantage, as he sets his sights on an 8th straight victory, dating back to last year.
“I’m for sure disappointed to be second,” he said. “I wanted to be first today of course, but Lewis was quicker in qualifying today and that’s it. But fortunately it’s the race that counts. There are still a couple of opportunities tomorrow for sure, at the start for example. Strategy wise, it’s not going to be an easy race tomorrow so I will try and take my chances there.”
There was no smiling in the Ferrari garage.
Team Scuderia has been beset by technical problems in the early races this season, and company President Sergio Marchionne piled the pressure on the team ahead of this weekend by saying that he “expects” a win in Spain. They will have to do it Sunday; Kimi Raikkonen qualified 5th, 1 place ahead of teammate Sebastian Vettel.
“We speak to him internally and not just what is through in the newspaper,” Mr. Vettel said of Mr. Marchionne’s comments. “It doesn’t affect us the way you might think. We are disappointed as a team today because we didn’t deliver what we can, we need go have a look and understand. We can’t change that now, so tomorrow is another day and we know that the car can be very strong. We need to make sure we get it right.”
The big story of the day is from Red Bull
Early on it appeared that Max Verstappen, 18 anni, was set for an even remarkable 1st qualifying showing for team Red Bull. The young Dutch driver was promoted from Red Bull’s sister team Toro Rosso in place of Daniil Kvyat following the Russia Grand Prix. Immediately showed the speed that marked him as a future superstar. His qualifying performance Saturday ensured the best starting position to a F1 Grand Prix for a teenager in 55 years.
For your guide to the Spanish Grand Prix go here: https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video/2016/5/Your_guide_to_the_Spanish_Grand_Prix.html
On the Grid
Full qualifying results for round 5 of the 2016 F1 World Championship, the Spanish Grand Prix at Circuit de Catalunya.
1. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 22.000s
2. Nico Rosberg GER Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 22.280s
3. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull-Renault 1m 22.680s
4. Max Verstappen NED Red Bull-Renault 1m 23.087s
5. Kimi Raikkonen FIN Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 23.113s
6. Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 23.334s
7. Valtteri Bottas FIN Williams-Mercedes 1m 23.522s
8. Carlos Sainz Jr ESP Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 23.643s
9. Sergio Perez MEX Force India-Mercedes 1m 23.782s
10. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda 1m 23.981s
11. Nico Hulkenberg GER Force India-Mercedes 1m 24.203s
12. Jenson Button GBR McLaren-Honda 1m 24.348s
13. Daniil Kvyat RUS Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 24.445s
14. Romain Grosjean FRA Haas-Ferrari 1m 24.480s
15. Kevin Magnussen DEN Renault-Renault 1m 24.625s
16. Esteban Gutierrez MEX Haas-Ferrari 1m 24.778s
17. Jolyon Palmer GBR Renault-Renault 1m 24.903s
18. Felipe Massa BRZ Williams-Mercedes 1m 24.941s
19. Felipe Nasr BRA Sauber-Ferrari 1m 25.202s
20. Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber-Ferrari 1m 25.579s
21. Pascal Wehrlein GER Manor-Mercedes 1m 25.754s
22. Rio Haryanto INA Manor-Mercedes 1m 25.939s
US F1 Race time: Sunday 8:00a EDT
TV channel: NBCSN
Live stream: NBC Sports Live Extra
Tune in and enjoy the racing
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- The Week Ahead on Wall Street - December 5, 2016
- Italy’s PM Resigned After Voters Rejected His Constitutional Reforms - December 4, 2016
- America Can Become The Global Energy Powerhouse - December 4, 2016