F1: Italian Grand Prix at Monza Free Practice Results
Formula One leader Lewis Hamilton ousted MercedesAMG team mate Nico Rosberg from the top of the time sheets in Italian Grand Prix free practice Friday.
The Briton, chasing his 50th Grand Prix win Sunday, enjoyed a sunny afternoon at the Monza circuit with a fastest lap of one minute 22.801 secs on the Supersoft tires after being second to Mr. Rosberg in the morning.
Mr. Rosberg quickest effort then was a 1:22.959, with the German lapping in 1:22.994 after lunch.
Ferrari were best of the rest in both sessions at their home track with Kimi Raikkonen 3rd in the morning, but more than a second off Mr. Rosberg’s pace, while team mate Sebastian Vettel was 4th.
Like the Mercedes pair, their positions were reversed in the afternoon with Mr. Vettel using the Supersoft tires to post a lap 0.453 slower than Mr. Hamilton.
The Scuderia have used the last of their season’s engine ‘tokens’ for a power boost at the track outside Milan after ceding 2nd place in the championship to Red Bull.
Messers Hamilton leads Rosberg by 9 points going into the last European race of the season but the 3X world champion can hope to extend that Sunday.
The Briton is chasing his third successive Italian Grand Prix win, a feat that has not been achieved since the late Argentine Juan Manuel Fangio in the 1950’s.
Mr. Rosberg, winner in Belgium last weekend, set his best lap of the morning on the soft tires as did Mr. Hamilton, who was one of several drivers to have off-track excursions as they probed the limits.
Full free practice results (1) for round 14 of the 2016 Formula 1 World Championship (F1), the Italian Grand Prix at Monza.
1. Nico Rosberg GER Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 22.959s
2. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 23.162s
3. Kimi Raikkonen FIN Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 24.047s
4. Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 24.307s
5. Sergio Perez MEX Force India-Mercedes 1m 24.650s
6. Romain Grosjean FRA Haas-Ferrari 1m 24.763s
7. Valtteri Bottas FIN Williams-Mercedes 1m 24.785s
8. Max Verstappen NED Red Bull-TAG 1m 24.982s
9. Esteban Gutierrez MEX Haas-Ferrari 1m 25.113s
10. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull-TAG 1m 25.120s
11. Jenson Button GBR McLaren-Honda 1m 25.351s
12. Alfonso Celis Jr MEX Force India-Mercedes 1m 25.367s
13. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda 1m 05.507s
14. Felipe Massa BRZ Williams-Mercedes 1m 25.840s
15. Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber-Ferrari 1m 25.853s
16. Carlos Sainz Jr ESP Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 25.973s
17. Daniil Kvyat RUS Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 26.074s
18. Esteban Ocon FRA Manor-Mercedes 1m 26.391s
19. Felipe Nasr BRA Sauber-Ferrari 1m 26.439s
20. Pascal Wehrlein GER Manor-Mercedes 1m 26.762s
21. Jolyon Palmer GBR Renault-Renault 1m 26.811s
22. Kevin Magnussen DEN Renault-Renault 1m 26.956s
|HeffX-LTN Analysis for RACE:||Overall||Short||Intermediate||Long|
|Bullish (0.45)||Bullish (0.45)||Bullish (0.46)||Bullish (0.44)|
Have a safe and happy Labor Day Weekend
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Ferrari (NYSE:RACE) May Pair an Electric Motor to a New V6 for Dino - November 16, 2018
- See a 10% Rally in Stocks On a Trade Deal with China - November 16, 2018
- US Economy Cools, Fed’s Powell Hints a Rate Halt in 2019 - November 16, 2018