F1: Austria GP, Bottas Takes Pole Ahead of Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel
- Valtteri Bottas takes Pole ahead of Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen, Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen
- Lewis Hamilton starts in P8 after 5-place grid penalty
- Mr. Vettel leads Mr. Hamilton in the championship by 14 points
Provisional start positions
Note: Lewis Hamilton has a 5-place grid penalty so will start in P8.
After seeing the MercedesAMG’s man go fastest in both of Friday’s sessions, Mr. Vettel responded with a time of 1m5.092s in FP3.
Mr. Hamilton, who spun late in the session, was 0.269 secs back, with team-mate Valtteri Bottas in 3rd.
The drivers will be back out later in the day for qualifying. Mr. Hamilton will be hit with a 5 place grid penalty for an unauthorized gearbox change.
Read on for all the latest from the Red Bull Ring.
Here are the standings in full from final practice courtesy of the F1 Twitter feed:
After a sharp start from the 2 MercedesAMG drivers, Mr. Vettel offered insight into Ferrari’s potential pace around this circuit.
Mr. Hamilton was initially able to respond to Mr. Vettel’s time of 1:05.384, edging him out with a mark of 1:05.361.
Mr. Vettel had enough in the tank to fight back with a seriously quick 1:05.092.
Messrs Vettel and Hamilton were in close proximity on the circuit Saturday, although without the same sort of fireworks seen at Baku
The MercedesAMG driver was a heavy on the brakes, locked up his tires and as we can see courtesy of Sky Sports F1, ended up in a difficult spot:
Elsewhere, Kimi Raikkonen came home in 4th place, with the Red Bull team of Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo in 5th and 6th, respectively
NBCSN’s live coverage of qualifying at 8:00a EDT.
Live race coverage from Austria begins Sunday at 7:30a EDT on CNBC.
NBCSN will air an encore presentation of the Austrian Grand Prix on Sunday at 2:00p EDT.
Enjoy the racing…
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- John Bolton is “Brilliant and Very Tough” - March 24, 2018
- Pirelli is Making a Period Correct Tire for all 36 Ferrari 250GTOs - March 24, 2018
- Daily Exercise is Necessary and Needed for Good Health - March 24, 2018