Distinguish Yourself, Standout as a Leader
If you want to inspire the people around you aka leadership, thenfocus on developing the characteristics that make you a standout leader.
According to new research conducted over 3 years by Mark Horwitch and Meredith Whipple Callahan at Bain & Co, they identified 4 groups of characteristics, and types of interactions they are most closely associated with, as follows:
- Leading the Team: your formal leadership skills
- Connecting with Others: how you connect with others 1 on 1
- Developing Inner Resources: how you lead or handle yourself
- Setting the Tone: how you work in groups when you are not the formal leader.
The most inspiring characteristics related to how you connect with others include humility, or your ability to keep your ego in check, and your vitality or energy.
When it comes to leading yourself, people find it super inspiring when you demonstrate that you can deal with stress in positive ways. They’re also looking for leaders with conviction; people who can stay the course even when people disagree with them.
There is 1 Key inspiring characteristic that tops all others, that being: “centeredness”.
Bain & Co. explains “centeredness” this way, “This skill is universal and an important enabler of all other skills. It is therefore viewed by employees as the most inspiring.”
Together, their defined characteristics make up a new inspirational leadership model.
You do not need to be perfect across the board to be a great leader. According to Horwitch and Whipple Callahan, what you really need is one distinguishing strength to really stand out as an inspiration to others.
A distinguishing strength means you are in the top 10% of your peer group in displaying that characteristic.
“Even 1 distinguishing strength nearly doubles your chances of being inspiring, and the more distinguishing strengths you have, the more inspirational you can be,” the study authors wrote in How Leaders Inspire Cracking the Code.
They added, “No combination of strengths is statistically more powerful than any other. Inspirational leaders come in many forms and varieties .”
The Big Q: What is your distinguishing strength?
Have a terrific week.
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Donald Trump, ” I will turn it around, you are not forgotten anymore.” - January 19, 2017
- US Intelligence Sector in for a Trump Reformation - January 19, 2017
- Positive Big Bankers See Regulations Abating Under President Donald Trump - January 19, 2017