The Benefits of Drinking Hydrogenated Water
The hydrogen molecule is very small, and it is the size and other unique properties have inspired scientists to research its potential therapeutic uses, they come up with some remarkable discoveries.
The Big Q: What Is Molecular Hydrogen?
Hydrogen, #1 on the periodic table, is the simplest and lightest element, consisting of 1 electron and 1 proton. It is also the most abundant element in the universe, the stuff of Stars, Nebulas, and gas giant planets like Jupiter and Saturn.
On Earth hydrogen rarely exists in molecular form.
Hydrogen gas, aka, H2 because each molecule has 2 atoms of hydrogen, is so light that it easily escapes our planet’s gravitational pull. And since hydrogen reacts with nearly all other elements, it mostly exists in chemical compound form, such as water, oil, and gas, millions of natural and synthetic chemicals, as well as other organic compounds essential for all forms of life.
The Big Q2: Why H2 is so powerful
- H2 is an extraordinary antioxidant, a free radical quencher that selectively scavenges the most dangerous and destructive hydroxyl radicals. Hydroxyl radicals initiate their cycle of destruction by stealing electrons from molecules in DNA, proteins, and fats, destabilizing them and setting off a chain reaction of oxidative stress. H2 readily gives up electrons to hydroxyl radicals, which stabilizes them and stops them in their tracks. It also reduces the toxicity of peroxynitrite, another destructive oxidant, and further boosts the body’s defenses by increasing production of natural antioxidants such as glutathione, superoxide dismutase, and catalase.
- H2 has beneficial effects on cell signaling and gene expression. It suppresses TNF-alpha and other proteins involved in inflammation and turns on mechanisms that protect against cell death. But because H2 is selective, it does not scavenge essential redox signaling radicals that play a key role as cellular messengers.
- Recent studies show that H2-infused water increases the production of a hormone called ghrelin. Secreted in the stomach, ghrelin is best known for stimulating appetite, but it also boosts growth hormone release and has protective effects in the brain, vascular system, liver, and elsewhere.
- H2 “nano” molecules are able to diffuse through cellular membranes, enter the mitochondria and nucleus of cells, cross the blood-brain barrier, and exert their positive effects in tissues and organs throughout the body.
So, it is not surprising that benefits of H2 therapy have been demonstrated in animal models and/or human studies in a wide range of conditions, including traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, strokes, heart attacks, vascular disease, diabetes, liver and kidney disorders, autoimmune conditions, and lung problems.
Research reveals that the best delivery system for H2 is Water
The 3 Key avenues of H2 administration have been used in clinical research are:
- inhaling hydrogen gas
- injecting hydrogen-rich saline, and
- drinking molecular hydrogen-infused water
Hydrogen water can be generated by electrolysis (passing an electrical current through water), which splits H2O into O2 and H2 and dissolves it in the water.
Water “ionizers,” are supposed to make “alkaline,” “structured,” or “microclustered” water, actually derive their benefits from the molecular hydrogen they produce.
Recently I learned that a innovative company in Sarasota, Florida is producing and packaging hydrogen enriched water in a special pouch designed to retains the hydrogen until opened.
Check them out at: HTWO Hydrogen Water
Hydrogen enriched water offers a variety of health benefits and has been shown to materially contribute to the performance of athletes.
Drinking 500 ml of hydrogen water daily approximates the dose used in the hydrogen therapy’s research, and actually floods the system with free radical-quenching electrons. And because H2 is a safe, natural molecule that is common to the body, you cannot get too much of it.
Molecular hydrogen water has a promising future as a safe, simple, inexpensive therapy for health maintenance, disease prevention, and treatment of our most common health challenges.
I am adding a bottle of H2-saturated water to my daily regimen and suggest any health, longevity conscious reader consider doing the same.
Eat healthy, Be healthy, Live lively
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Wall Street’s Top Analysts Upgrades, Downgrades & Initiations - October 28, 2016
- Chicago Agriculture Commodities Finished Higher - October 28, 2016
- The AAII Sentiment Survey for the Frame Ended 26 October 2016 - October 28, 2016